Greek life about service, scholarship

By Cierria McPerryman

For Cara Prock, people who view Greek Row negatively are not informed on what Greek life is about.

The Panhellenic Council president said Greek life is about scholarship, leadership, community service, brotherhood and sisterhood.

“Students could overcome negative stereotypes by going through recruitment and intake to see what Greek life is really about,” Prock said.

The media doesn’t always show all aspects of life in sororities and fraternities.

“You may see stereotypes in the movies but it is definitely not what happens on our campus,” said Melissa Williams, associate director for Student Involvement and Leadership Development.

The Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, United Greek Council, and the National Panhellenic Council form the Greek governing councils at NIU. Each Greek chapter under each council can hold between 5-120 members and they have their own individual guidelines and requirements for membership.

Williams said every chapter has a hazing prevention education program. Greek chapters also participate in an anti-hazing campaign on Oct. 15 and Oct. 19.

Last year, the grade point average for men in Greek Row was 2.7 and for women 2.9, according to the Fraternity and Sorority Life Report Card.

Students are recommended to learn more about Greek Row by attending events hosted by them, Prock said. Greek organizations hold their members to higher standards and community members notice that Greek members contribute to community and volunteer service, she said.

“I suggest going to a philanthropy event where Greeks fundraise money for charity, talking to Greek members about what Greek life means to them and asking questions,” Prock said.