Research opportunities available to undergrads on campus

By Julia Layton

Ready? Set. Research!

Students interested in undergraduate research don’t have to visit specific colleges on campus, said Julia Spears, director of student engagement and experiential learning. Student Engagement and Experiential Learning has centralized research opportunities from across the university for students since 2009.

Students can get research experience in several ways. Spears said the Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research Program (USOAR) allows students to receive up to $2,500 to pursue research.

Spears said USOAR has projects for students to cultivate their ideas, whereas other programs, like the undergraduate research assistantships, are more of an apprenticeship in a student’s chosen field.

Research assistantships were only available for juniors and seniors, Spears said. With Research Rookies, freshmen, sophomores and first-semester transfer students can do research, as well.

Lauren Nale, junior rehabilitation services major, said she participated in Research Rookies.

“Research Rookies really gave exactly all the tools I knew it would,” Nale said. ”A good establishment of the research process and networking with faculty and professionals.”

Research is essential to students honing into what their passion is, Spears said. They can cultivate their confidence and critical thinking skills and know if they want to go to graduate school, she said.

Assistant psychology professor David Bridgett said there are advantages to having an undergraduate research assistant.

“Undergraduates come in ready to learn and often give 100 percent,” Bridgett said.

He said another advantage is that he has the ability to develop students’ view of research in their field.