Register to vote: here is everything you need to know

By Alan Kozeluh

The conventions are over and election season is in full gear. Are you registered to vote?

According to the website of John Acardo, DeKalb County clerk and recorder, if you have moved to DeKalb County you must re-register with your new address in order to vote. If you are a new student coming to DeKalb for the first time this semester, you may need to re-register, as well.

Erica Cogswell, senior business management major, plans on registering for the first time this year. At 21, this is the first presidential election she will be old enough to vote in.

“I think it’d be an easy process,” Cogswell said.

The following is a step-by-step process of what you need and when and where to go to vote:

•What you need

Everyone needs two forms of ID. Acardo said that they do not have to be photo IDs, but one of them must contain your current address. Examples include: a driver’s license or ID from any state, student ID (your OneCard will work), credit card, social security card, birth certificate or passport. If you bring a lease, rental contract, utility bill or piece of mail, it must have your current address postmarked at least 30 days before election day.

•Where to go

People can vote at most banks, libraries, Acardo’s office or the DMV. Nicholas Bender, NIU Student Association’s director of governmental affairs, said he has organized registration drives in the Holmes Student Center. Students can register to vote in the Holmes Student Center from noon to 2 p.m. Sept. 20 and 21, and Oct. 2, 4 and 5. Students can also register from 3 to 6 p.m. Sept. 24 and Oct. 1 and 3.

•When to go

The deadline to register to vote is Oct. 9th. Some locations may end earlier.

•If you miss the Oct. 9th deadline, you can still access grace period registration. You must register and vote on the same day if you choose this option. More information on grace period voting is available atdekalbclerk.com/Elections/New%20Folder/GraceVoting.html

•Election Night

Student Involvement and Leadership Development will host an Election Night Watch Party on Nov. 6 at the Huskies Den. Free food and bowling will be offered.