Reading habits for students changed

By Erin Kolb

Reading habits among students may be changing with the popularity of eReaders.

Chalermsee Olson, associate dean for collections and technical services at Founders Memorial Library, who’s worked at the library for about six years, said students have changed reading habits over the years. She said she hopes the new generation will read more because of eReaders.

“More people reading for pleasure would be great,” Olson said.

A 2012 study by the Pew Research Center showed 21 percent of Americans reported reading an e-book in the past year. This number increased following a gift-giving season that also saw an increase of people owning tablet computers and e-book reading devices, the study stated.

The library does not currently have eReaders or eBooks to rent because of the cost, Olson said.

Junior sociology major Hayley Vaughn said she likes using her Nook Color.

“I can download a book instantly instead of having to go to the library or the bookstore,” said Vaughn. “I definitely read more than I did before I got the Nook a year ago.”

Sophomore business major Nicole Dietz had her Kindle for about a year. She said she likes it better than printed books because it is easy to carry and the books she downloads are cheaper.

Senior psychology major Zac Vazquez said he doesn’t like eBooks much.

“I don’t want to pay for a device that may crash on me halfway through what I’m reading,” Vazquez said. “Plus, with all of the free books at the library, it seems unnecessary to buy eBooks all the time.”

Reading is a lifelong interest and those who really love to read will read no matter how they do it, Olson said.