DeKalb offers dynamic duo of comic book stores

By Joe Palmer

Some local vendors say comic books are making a comeback, and DeKalb has you covered from cover to cover.

Since summer of last year, comic books have taken a dramatic rise in popularity thanks to new titles, new stories and new artists, said some local comic vendors.

“Overall writers and artists have improved,” said Zach Jerrard, New Game in Town employee, 811 W. Lincoln Highway. “Comics are more in people’s consciousness. Now we’re seeing both new and returning faces.”

DeKalb is home to two comic books stores, with New Game in Town and Graham Crackers Comics, 901 Lucinda Ave., catering to the comic crowd.

Charles Fischer, manager of Graham Crackers, said comics are a part of American culture, and it’s his job to make them more accessible to the public.

“Absolutely no one needs comic books; they are a total luxury item,” Fischer said. “But that doesn’t mean that they aren’t a fantastic way to engage your mind, foster creativity and have fun.”

Fischer, a recent NIU graduate, said comic books are a part of the university, and his goal is to give back to NIU through his store.

“My approach is to be community and people orientated,” Fischer said. “A business needs to serve the community, and I do my best to help. Our store gives $2 store credit for any A a local K-12 student gets on their report card, and $1 for every B. We donate comics to local libraries and organizations, and every Wednesday is free comic day for customers.”

Graham Crackers is part of a larger chain of stores and opened its DeKalb location in 1999. Since then, Fischer said the store has been an active supporter of DeKalb and NIU by doing its best to serve everyone.

“There are some 20,000 students at NIU, so of course there are people that like comics, card games and everything else,” Fischer said. “I believe a business is better when customers are passionate about the product. I encourage anyone who wants to give comics a chance to stop by a store, and just go for it. We are here for you,”

Bear Wolf, owner and manager of New Game in Town, said he has loved comics since he was a kid, and that’s what made him expand his store to sell the books.

“I’ve owned this store since 2009, and we started selling comics in 2010,” Wolf said. “I would probably never had started selling comics if it weren’t for NIU being in town.”

New Game caters mostly to gamers, since the store sells video, board and card games and hosts tournaments often. New Game is also the meeting place of the new NIU Comic Book Club, which meets in the store’s lower level.

Wolf said comics have become more of a selling point at his store since DC comics unveiled its “New 52” lineup last fall.

“Comics are seeing a resurgence thanks to a number of factors, not the least of which is the increase in comic-based movies and the relaunch in DC,” Wolf said.

The partnership between games and comics works at New Game because the two have a lot in common, Jerrard said.

“Some people feel an appeal to the fantasy and unreality of things,” Jerrard said. “Games and comics go hand-in-hand in that sense.”

Both Wolf and Fischer said comics are a special art form, and that the best way to get started is to ask around.

“Sometimes people wonder where to start, especially with things like Action Comics, which has over 900 issues in its run,” Fischer said. “To start, just ask a friend or a vendor what their favorites books are, and start there. There is a comic book and a character for everyone. The world would be a whole lot less colorful if comic books weren’t in it.”

Wolf said new readers should look at comics as art, not as a way to make money.

“Start slow if you’re going to start with comics, and get them because you love them,” Wolf said. “Don’t buy comics if you’re expecting to make a million dollars, buy them because you care about the stories and the characters. Appreciate the styling, the writing, and care that was given to the books, and you’ll realize just how impressive they are as an art form.”