History’s Foundation: Reavis Hall

By Olivia Willoughby

This building holds the majority of English classes at NIU, sprinkled with the occasional communications and other Liberal Arts and Sciences classes.

Dedicated to William Claude Reavis, Reavis Hall was built in 1957. William Harms, associate news director at the University of Chicago, said Reavis was a professor of education at the university and was known for work there.

Harms said Reavis taught the importance of loyalty, integrity and dedication to worthy causes.

“A student said that he learned not only about school administration, how to use the library, how to evaluate the writings of others and how to write the English language, but also many lessons that can be taught by a wise leader and great teacher,” Harms said.

Harms also said Reavis wrote several books, many based on education. Some include “Pupil Adjustment in Junior and Senior High Schools” and “Duties of School Principals.”

According to the Nov. 12, 1956 cornerstone laying ceremony of the building, Reavis devoted more than 25 years to improving teaching and administration at NIU. Not only did he teach at the university, Reavis also encouraged the establishment of a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences degree. He even had a high school, Reavis High School, named after him as well.

Despite the honor Reavis holds, faculty does not have much knowledge about his existence. However, they do believe it is an important aspect of education.

“When a person has been honored, there’s a reason for that honoring,” said Ellen Franklin, assistant to the director of first-year composition.

One reason why faculty, such as the English Department, does not have this knowledge might stem from its late transition into the building.

“The English department didn’t move into Reavis unitl the 1970s,” said Jan Vander Meer, English department office administrator. “The building was done in 1957, but we really don’t know the history about it. No one knows about Mr. Reavis other than what we’d find on the Internet.”

Although Reavis Hall’s history was not passed down to current faculty, they still believe that students should also have some knowledge about the history of this building. Michael Day, first-year composition director, said it can be powerful knowledge.

“I think within oral traditional culture, names hold a great significance,” he said. “To have the name of something is to have power. If we have more knowledge, then we could even have the power.”

Ferald Bryan, associate professor of rhetoric and public communication, said knowing this history also comes with knowledge and appreciation. However, he also said the lack of this knowledge may be caused by being so far into the digital age.

“I know that students don’t find history as interesting as our cutting edge technology,” Bryan said. “In our rush to become cutting edge, we do forget the history. But I agree, this knowledge can be a certain amount of power.”

Students like sophomore sociology major Sheridan Suggs also said a building name’s held importance. She said this especially applied to buildings in which students tend to have classes.

“I know all of my classes are in Reavis and in DuSable, so I should know about the building I’m at,” Suggs said. “It’s important to know how it came to be since it’s where you are most of the time.”