‘Friendship Abloom Luncheon’ gives insight on PCSM

By Linze Griebenow

Friends, fun and a free lunch were themes in the Regency Room Wednesday.

The elegant room in the Holmes Student Center was alive with students, faculty and staff chatter as they gathered to take advantage of a free catered lunch and the opportunity to gain insight into the The Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities.

The Friendship Abloom Luncheon intended to bring students and departments from across campus together, as well as honor the recipients of the Deacon Davis Diversity Award, said Felicia Bohanon, vice chair director for the commission.

“The purpose of the event was, to number one, bring people together on campus from different colleges,” Bohanon said. “So, part of the program is set up really to bring people together, but also to share information on the Deacon Davis Award winners.”

Bohanon said as PCSM is one of the oldest commissions on campus, the luncheon has been an annual event for “a number of years.”

“One of the things we’ve done over the last two years is really encourage students to come out so we’ve had a greater attendance with their participation, I think,” Bohanon said. “One of the things we’re really pushing for is for students to become more involved in our events and to give us their input so we can continue to improve things here for them.”

Those in attendance were greeted by live jazz music and were encouraged to eat at any table with open seats to promote mingling. Among the attendees was President John Peters, who delivered the keynote address, followed by a presentation led by NIU student Adam Lopez.

Cynthia Fahler, NIU admissions and records specialist, said the Admissions Office received an invitation for the event over a month ago and after participating in the luncheon before, made the decision to return this year.

“We like to interact with people and it’s a great opportunity to do that,” Fahler said.

Lori Kocher, NIU admissions and records specialist, agreed as she sat next to Fahler and other employees, enjoying her lunch.

“I’ve been to it before; it’s nice, and you get to meet new people,” she said.

Freshman music major Candy Irene said she attended because her professor offered extra credit if she stayed beyond the lunch. Irene said she would attend next year, provided the food is equally delicious.