Campus blotter for 3/27/12

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Wednesday

At 8:44 p.m., officers responded to Lincoln Hall C Wing regarding a report of theft. They met with a person who said someone stole her laptop from her room. The offender was identified. Officers recovered the laptop and referred the offender to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for theft.

At 11:15 p.m., officers responded to Faraday Hall for a report of graffiti. This case is administratively closed.

At 11:31 p.m., officers responded to Stevenson Tower South for a complaint of the smell of cannabis. Upon arrival, they made contact with two people who had drug paraphernalia. Both people were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Thursday

At 3:27 a.m., officers responded to the parking deck for a report of graffiti. This case is administratively closed.

At 10:28 a.m., officers responded to Gabel Hall for a report of theft. The victim reported her computer had been taken. This case is pending investigation.

At 12:07 p.m., officers responded to Stevenson South for a report of theft. They talked to a person who reported missing several items. This case is pending investigation.

At 2:01 p.m., officers responded to Founders Memorial Library for a report of criminal trespass. On scene, they encountered Ricky T. Le, 28, of New Orleans, and Shaun M. Green, 28, or DeKalb, both of whom had been banned from university property. The two were arrested and charged with criminal trespass to state supported land. This case is clear adult arrest.

At 2:51 p.m., officers responded to the NIU Police Department to meet with a victim in regard to a burglary from his residence hall room. Officers talked to the victim, who said he was missing several items. This case is pending investigation.

At 4:29 p.m., an officer responded to the exterior of Grant North C Tower for a complaint of burnt cannabis. Contact with the offender revealed cannabis. The offender was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

At 8:59 p.m., officers on patrol in Neptune West encountered the odor of burnt cannabis. Contact with the occupants of a suspected room revealed one person in possession of cannabis. The offender was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

Friday

At 1:18 a.m., officers noticed several people outside of Douglas Hall near a window. One of the people was in possession of alcohol while under 21. The offender was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 1:53 a.m., officers reported to Douglas Hall in regards to an intoxicated person. On scene, they found a person who was intoxicated while under 21. The offender was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 2:20 a.m., officers encountered a person in the lobby of Douglas Hall who seemed to be intoxicated. After a brief investigation, it was confirmed the person was intoxicated while under 21. The offender was given a verbal warning for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 3:59 a.m., officers on patrol in Lot W encountered a running vehicle with two occupants. Officers smelled the odor of burnt cannabis upon approaching the car. Contact with the occupant confirmed the cannabis smell, and the offenders were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

Officers went to the address of Nicholas D. Baker, 22, of Palatine, to serve a warrant out of DeKalb County. Officers made contact with Baker and placed him under arrest for failure to appear for filing a false police report. This case is closed adult arrested.

At 8:27 p.m., a person reported to police that while at the Campus Recreational Center, his book back was removed without his permission. This case is pending investigation.

At 11:09 p.m., an officer on patrol in the 1000 block of Hillcrest spotted an individual who appeared to be intoxicated walking with a cup. Contact with the person confirmed he was intoxicated and the cup contained alcohol. The person was under 21 and was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor.

Saturday

At 12:11 a.m., officers received a complaint of a highly intoxicated male walking around on the 500 block of North Annie Glidden. Officers escorted the person to his residence hall room after verifying he was OK. The person admitted to consuming alcoholic beverages and possessing several knives in his room. He turned over the knives to the officers. He was then referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for underage consumption of alcohol and unlawful storage of weapons.

At 2:47 a.m., while patrolling the 700 block of Regent Drive, officers noticed a laser beam shine into their vehicle. Officers traced the origin of the laser to several people outside of the suspected building. Officers identified the offender, who was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for the infraction.

At 3:16 a.m., officers responded to a fight in progress outside Grant Towers North. On scene, an officer was pushed while trying to break up the fight. Benjamin M. Traxler, 23, of Peoria, was arrested and charged with battery. This case is cleared adult arrest.

Sunday

At 3:50 p.m., officers responded to Stevenson B Tower regarding a theft. Upon arrival, they met with a person who stated someone stole his cellular phone and money from his wallet. This case is pending investigation.