Northern Light Ambassadors seek new applicants

Courtesy of NIU Media Relations

By Jordan Birchfield

The Northern Light Ambassadors are looking for new leaders for the 2012-2013 academic year.

The Northern Light Ambassadors is an organization founded in 2011 that chooses a select group of representatives from NIU’s College of Business, College of Education, College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, College of Health and Human Services and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

“The Northern Light Ambassadors are a group of leaders who showcase the opportunities that NIU can offer,” said Julie Spears, Northern Light Ambassadors coordinator.

Applications are open to sophomores, juniors or seniors in good standing with a declared major within the college, according to the group’s website. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and a demonstrated involvement in engaged learning activities. The deadline to apply is Feb. 29.

The mission of the group is to bring together involved students who represent the NIU experience, and are trained to get incoming students involved, Spears said.

Kelsey Borg, senior communications disorders major, is a Northern Light Ambassador for the 2011-2012 school year.

“I am not sure how many students know we exist, but from what I have experienced, the reaction to us has been positive,” Borg said.

Borg said her enthusiasm for NIU and wanting to help people is why she wanted to be an Ambassador.

“I enjoy helping other people and sharing the pride I have of being an NIU Huskie with them along with showing them what a wonderful place NIU is to go to school,” Borg said.

John Price, junior biological science major, is a current Northern Light Ambassador.

“I am a veteran and non-traditional student, which I feel are large and under-represented portions of the student body,” Price said. “Many us are too busy to be as involved as more traditional students, but that does not mean we do not represent a significant segment of the student population.”

More information about becoming a Northern Light Ambassador is available at www.niu.edu/engagedlearning/northern_light.