Campus blotter for 1/23/12

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Thursday

At 8:14 p.m., an officer in the Stevenson Towers Community Safety Center took a harassment report. The complainant said she has been receiving harassing statements through Facebook. This case is pending investigation.

At 9:10 p.m., an officer in Neptune West responded to the third floor regarding the smell of cannabis. Hall staff met with him at the suspected room and found the odor of burnt cannabis was emanating from it. Contact with the residents of the room produced cannabis and drug paraphernalia. Both residents of the room were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia, and one resident was referred for unlawful possession of cannabis.

At 10:20 p.m., an officer patrolling the Grant South lobby was told people were smoking marijuana outside. The officer made contact with the suspects and found there was an odor of burnt cannabis. Further contact produced cannabis and resulted in the five offenders being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

At 11:33 p.m., an officer responded to the third floor of Lincoln Hall’s A Wing regarding a liquor control violation. Upon arrival, the officer met with hall staff who advised him that several individuals in a resident’s room had been consuming alcohol. Contact with the occupants of the room resulted in six people being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 11:54 p.m., an officer interacted with an intoxicated person on the fifth floor of the men’s bathroom in Grant Towers South. The office verified that the person was okay medically and referred the person to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.