Campus blotter for 1/31/12

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Jan. 22

At 8:41 p.m., an officer was dispatched to the Rec Center for a report of disorderly conduct. Upon arrival, the officer met with the complainant, who identified the offender. The officer made contact with the offender, who was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for disorderly conduct.

Thursday

At 1:29 p.m., an officer was dispatched to the Holmes Student Center bus turnaround to meet with an individual regarding a report of a missing backpack. The officer took the report and this case is pending investigation.

Friday

At 12:01 a.m., an officer was dispatched to the fourth floor of Douglas Hall and made contact with a subject who was determined to be under 21 and intoxicated. The officer also determined the individual had damaged residence hall property. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor and criminal damage to property.

At 12:56 a.m., an officer on patrol in Douglas Hall’s lobby observed a possibly intoxicated individual fall out of a vehicle in the service drive. The officer made contact with the individual, who was determined to be under 21 and intoxicated. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 1:56 a.m., an officer in the Lincoln Hall lobby observed two individuals who appeared to be under 21 and intoxicated. The officer made contact with the individuals, which resulted in one being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.

At 3:58 a.m., an officer was advised by the front desk worker at Douglas Hall that an individual was passed out on the floor in a utility room in the building. The officer made contact with the individual, who was determined to be under 21 and intoxicated. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 9:53 a.m., officers met with Daniel J. Zeman, 20, of Downers Grove, at the NIU Police Department for the service of a campus banning order as well as a service warrant for possession of cannabis. It was determined Zeman was also in possession of methamphetamine. Zeman was arrested for possession of cannabis and possession of methamphetamine and was transported to DeKalb County Jail.

At 7:19 p.m., officers conducted an interview with an individual in regards to a possible sexual assault that took place on Sept. 31, 2011 on the twelfth floor in Grant Towers North. The individual stated they had been sexually assaulted while visiting a friend. This case is pending investigation.

Saturday

At 12:47 a.m., officers conducting a building check in Stevenson Towers walked past a room where a party was in progress. Officers knocked on the door and made contact with the room’s residents and guests. The officers observed that all the occupants of the room looked and smelled as if they had consumed alcohol. It was verified that the occupants had consumed alcohol and were under 21. The alcohol was disposed of and all parties were given a verbal warning for unlawful consumption/possession of alcohol. This case is cleared refusal to cooperate.

At 1:37 a.m., officers observed four individuals walking. One fell down and the officers made contact with the group, during which they learned that the individuals had consumed alcohol and were under 21. The individuals were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption. This case is cleared refusal to cooperate.

At 1:49 a.m., officers were called to Lincoln Hall and observed a window on the second floor was broken. After an investigation was conducted, Richard F. Wenzel, 19, was arrested. He was charged with criminal damage to property and was released on individual bond.

At 2:38 a.m., officers observed an unopened case of beer in the backseat of a vehicle during a traffic stop. The officers were aware the car’s driver and passenger were both under 21 and could not possess alcohol. After speaking with the occupants of the vehicle, the alcohol was seized and the driver was given a verbal warning for underage possession of alcohol.

At 2:43 a.m., officers in Lincoln Hall were talking to two individuals who advised that there was an individual in the hallway outside of a room on the second floor was intoxicated. The officers made contact with the individual, who was determined to be under 21 and intoxicated. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 2:50 a.m., officers were called to Stevenson Tower South in regards to a roommate dispute. Upon arrival, the officers learned one roommate had threatened to harm the other. An investigation resulted in Rachel Matzuka, 18, of Saint Charles, being arrested for aggravated assault. Matzuka was released on an individual bond.

At 9:03 p.m., officers were called to Lincoln Hall in regards to a cannabis complaint. Upon arrival, officers made contact with the suspect and it was determined the suspect had smoked cannabis earlier in the day but was no longer in possession. The suspect agreed to a consent search of his room, which yielded several pills of a controlled substance. The pills were seized and the suspect was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for the possession.

Sunday

At 10:31 a.m., an individual came into the police department to report that his computer had been stolen, possibly from his dorm room over winter break. This case is administratively closed.

At 11:27 p.m., officers on patrol of Grant Towers South came across an individual holding a bottle of alcohol. It was determined the individual was under 21. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 12:32 a.m., officers encountered an individual who smelled like cannabis in Lincoln Hall. It was determined the individual was in possession of cannabis, which was willingly given to the officer. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis.

At 1:06 a.m., officers were called to the bathroom on the first floor of Douglas Hall in regards to an individual who needed medical attention. Officers observed the suspect on the bathroom floor and medics were called to the scene. It was determined the individual, who was under 21, had consumed alcohol. The individual was transported to Kishwaukee Community Hospital and was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for underage consumption of alcohol.

At 3:13 a.m., officers were called to Douglas Hall in regards to a report of an intoxicated individual. It was determined the subject was under 21. The individual was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for unlawful consumption of alcohol.

At 1:14 p.m., officers were dispatched to Douglas Hall for a report of theft of lost/mislaid property. This case is pending further investigation.

At 11:38 p.m., an officer responded to Lincoln Hall for a report of a theft. This case is open pending investigation.

At 11:49 p.m., officers responded to a disturbance on the first floor of Grant Hall. Upon arrival, officers located two individuals who were reported to be involved in an altercation. After conducting an investigation, Keisha R. Wilson, 19, of Crete, was arrested for domestic battery and transported to DeKalb County jail.