NIU needs to spend money to benefit all students, not just student-athletes

There’s nothing more appalling than watching NIU’s money burst into flames in the shape of a firework.

We’re sure the pretty display roused some NIU football team spirit (despite the fact that it started before the game ended), but let’s be honest; was it really worth it?

The Northern Star Editorial Board questions some of the recent decisions made by NIU and the athletics department (namely the choice to build a $9.5 million indoor training facility and, of course, the fireworks) and their value to the university as a whole.

A Sept. 18 Northern Star article stated Kenneth and Ellen Chessick donated $3 million toward the indoor facility. Though we appreciate the donation as a concept, its usefulness has yet to be determined.

Some universities pump a lot of money into their athletic departments, but see a reasonable return in generated revenue. NIU’s attendance is not enough to make this money back, especially in sports other than football.

According to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education, NIU’s total varsity student athletes for the 2010 academic year totaled 439. According to a May 3 Northern Star article, NIU’s total enrollment for fall 2010 sat at 23,850. Based on this data, about 2 percent of NIU’s 2010 student population would regularly use the indoor training facility.

Although NIU’s enrollment dipped again this year, President John Peters announced in his State of the University address that he plans for enrollment to increase to 30,000 students in nine years in accordance with his Vision 2020 plan.

Even if the university’s overall enrollment does increase, how many people are actually going to be able to use this new facility?

NIU has to make a decision on what it values more: academics or athletics. In a time during which money is tight and government funding is spotty at best, NIU cannot afford to make any poor decisions when it comes to improving the university.

And when a certain improvement is only going to benefit 2 percent of the student population, is it really that much of an improvement?

If the goal is to increase enrollment by 7,000 students in nine years, NIU must let go of this idea that it could have the best football team in the nation if only it had a good indoor practice space.

It won’t.

Perception is just as important as reality, and if prospective students think NIU cares more about its athletics that the overall student body, those people may not come.

And at that point, NIU might as well put on another fireworks display with that $3 million donation because, let’s face it, it’s just going to be another waste of money.