NIU health administrators question legitimacy of sexual health study

NIU ranked 98 on the 2011 Edition Trojan Sexual Health Report Card out of 141 universities, a 39-spot drop from the 2010 study.

Though this may appear a great drop from NIU’s rank last year, some of the basic criteria of the study was not met.

According to the report card, “Sperling’s BestPlaces researches collected extensive data via student health center representatives, along with follow up secondary research on those centers and students on campus.”

“I believe it was the student Health Center [we spoke to],” said Bert Sperling, founder of Sperling’s BestPlaces.

Administrators at NIU Health Enhancement and Health Services disagree, saying no one at NIU was asked for input on options available.

“No one [from the study] worked with Health Enhancement or Health Services,” said Donna Schoenfeld, director of Health Enhancement. “NIU was not contacted last year either.”

Christine Grady, director of Health Services, commented similarly.

“I nor anyone else at Health Services was contacted,” Grady said.

The results of the study are based on 13 criteria, such as student opinion of health center, hours of operation, if the health center allows drop-ins or requires appointments for students scheduling, if the health center offers separate sexual health awareness programs for students, contraceptive availability, condom availability, HIV testing on-site, STI testing on-site, anonymous advice available for students available through center, lecture/outreach programs for sexual health issues, student peer groups, availability of sexual assault programs, resources or service, and website usability and functionality.

Sperling said one of the things that gave schools lower scores was limited outreach from health centers and limited information about sexual assault being available.

In addition to not being spoken to about the research, Schoenfeld felt the results of the study lacked for other reasons.

“If you look at the criteria they have… between us and the Health Center, we have it covered,” Schoenfeld said. “They clearly didn’t talk to us.”