One dead in stove fire

By Dave Gong

A DeKalb man was found dead in his apartment after the DeKalb Fire Department responded to University Village for a report of a structure fire, 630 N. Annie Glidden Road, at 2:13 a.m. Saturday, according to a DeKalb fire department press release.

According to a press release from the DeKalb County Coroner, Steven D. Thompson, 34, of DeKalb, was found dead in his apartment when the DeKalb Fire Department searched the scene of the fire.

The Dekalb fire department release states the fire was the result of unattended cooking. The back two burners on the stove were found in the on position. The back right burner had a broken pot with unknown contents inside, and a pan was sitting on the back left burner containing a heavily-charred unknown item. The release states the fire was self-extinguished and required no water.

The coroner’s press release states there is no suspicion of foul play, though the death remains under investigation by the DeKalb Fire Department, the DeKalb Police Department and the DeKalb County Coroner’s Office.