Northern PACT photo contest now accepting entries

By Juliana Leprich

Students walking around campus in the next few weeks may be taking photos for the Northern PACT Photo Contest.

The Northern PACT Open Lens Contest is now accepting photo entries to promote NIU’s community. Photo entries for the contest are due by Dec. 31 and can be submitted to [email protected].

Abbey Wolfman, associate director of Orientation and First-Year Experience, said the Northern PACT is focusing on the “open” principle for the 2011-2012 school year. The contest is for all students who want to show what an “open” community means to them. “Open” is one of the five principles of the Northern PACT, along with “just,” “caring,” “disciplined,” and “celebrative,” Wolfman said.

Along with promoting NIU community,the Open Lens Contest will offer prizes. Wolfman said prizes include an opportunity to have their winning photos displayed on-campus and on the NIU website. In addition, the winner of the contest will receive an iPad. Runner-up prizes include Visa gift cards provided by TCF Bank.

Kelly Wesener, assistant vice president for Student Services, said the top 10 photos submitted will be displayed in the gallery located in Holmes Student Center.

Photos submitted will be judged by a experts and by the NIU community.

“We will have a panel of judges with expertise in the areas of photography, communication and art history,” Wesener said. “Through Facebook, a “people’s choice” award will also [be] voted on by the campus community.”

Though the deadline for photo entries is not for another two months, some NIU students are already planning ahead.

“I love photography and like to take any chance I can get to use my camera,” said Alyssa Buelow, sophomore special education major. “I would like to show how much this school cares about its students or how the students helped the school become what it is today.”