Sports bar atmosphere hits dining halls

By Felix Sarver

Students looking for a sports bar atmosphere should consider attending dinner at the residence halls tonight.

Neptune, Douglas, Lincoln and Grant will offer a Sports Bar Night as their dinner theme, said Michael Stang, executive director of Housing & Dining. Dinner hours are from 4 to 7 p.m.

Even though the theme of these dinners is a sports bar, there will not be offered.

“We’re trying to create a sports bar ambiance,” Stang said.

The promotion of campus athletics like triathlons and the fencing club is another goal of Sports Bar Night, said Carol Orrego, a graduate research assistant for the school of Family, Consumer and Nutrition Sciences.

“Students can wear their own shirts from their athletic teams,” Orrego said.

The kinds of food typically offered at a sports bar will be offered at the dinners.

“We’ll have chicken wings, nachos and artichoke,” Orrego said.

Other food offered include sports snacks like buttered popcorn, desserts like sports cookies and salads like potato and tossed salad.

Sports Bar Night will also offer a raffle for prizes like sports bags, Orrego said. The appearance of Victor E. Huskie is expected as well, Orrego said.

The athletic directors were invited, but they may or may not show, Orrego said.

“We’re hoping the athletic directors will come,” Orrego said.

About 400 to 450 students are expected to attend the dinner at Douglas Hall, Orrego said. However, the number of students attending at the dinners in all the halls is unknown, Stang said.

Freshmen engineering major Jose Hurtado said he finds the Sports Bar Night a refreshing idea.

“I think it’s good to try to mix things up,” Hurtado said.

Hurtado said this event something that he would attend even if he didn’t live in Douglas Hall.