Bicyclists roll into DeKalb

By Megan Healy

Critical Mass plans to hit Lincoln Highway Friday to bring awareness to bicyclists.

“Critical Mass is a group of cyclists biking together to bring awareness to the bikers in DeKalb,” said Critical Mass coordinator Dave Anianas Jr.

Accidents involving bicyclists in DeKalb sparked the need for greater awareness through the Critical Mass biking event, Anianas said.

“We have been planning this event for about a month,” Anianas said. “We are trying to advocate for bike lanes in DeKalb because people are getting hit by cars, and it’s unsafe to ride on the streets.”

DeKalb has already taken some action to remedy the issue of bikers’ safety.

“When the city repaved First Street in August, they added in bike lane markings,” said Joel Maurer, assistant public works director. “There are plans to add the same road markings on the north side of First Street as well.”

Markings were added to First Street to bring drivers’ attention to bicyclists.

“I have noticed over the past months that bikers are sharing the road on First Street with vehicles,” Maurer said. “The bike lanes bring safety benefits by making the drivers more aware of bikers.”

New bike lanes may not be the only way to protect cyclists.

“Lanes on all of the streets would be very helpful,” said junior geology major Jane Grundin. “It is hard to get around on and off campus. People are always getting in the way, and they don’t look out for bikers,”

The lack of street lighting at night can also be an issue for some students, especially thos who leave campus late or study on campus after hours.

“Better street lighting would be nice,” Grundin said. “Sometimes it’s scary riding home at night because no one can see you on the street.”