Students can find several locations to beat the summer heat

By Christopher Gibbs

DeKALB | In the hot summer of DeKalb, NIU students need to find ways to cool off. One place is the Gabel Hall pool.

The pool is open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m, and some students would like to see the hours increased.

Jaimie Cox, sophomore sociology major and Gabel pool lifeguard, said she believes that the pool should be open all day long.

“Students are already taking summer courses and they pay the fees,” she said. “They should be allowed to come use the pool whenever they want.”

Sandi Carlisle, director of Recreation Services, said Gabel pool hours are based on what Recreation Services can afford.

“We don’t have a large budget but we stay within our budget means,” she said.

Senior English major Andrew Shaffer uses the pool for exercise.

“I try to use it from Monday to Thursday, all the hours that they provide for us.” he said. “Sometimes it doesn’t meet up with my schedule, but it’s the best I can do.”

When he scheduled his summer classes, Shaffer said he wanted to get swimming done earlier in the day. He said the Gabel pool is easy to go to because it is on campus.

Noah Lappin, junior pre-nursing major and vice president of the NIU Triathlon Club, said he uses the pool as much as he can during its open hours, but also swims other places.

“Once in a while, on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, I go to the YMCA where it’s open pretty much constantly.” Lappin said.

The Kishwaukee Family YMCA is open daily.

Ryan Smith, aquatic director of the Kishwaukee YMCA, said NIU students and community members of all ages use the pool.