BOT approves 6.8 percent raise in tuition

By Dave Gong

The NIU Board of Trustees approved a motion to increase tuition by 6.8 percent for incoming students during a meeting Thursday.

NIU President John Peters said the new rate will not affect returning students, which make up 72 percent of the student body.

Peters said the new rate is expected to generate approximately $4 million in revenue for the university, which is not even 10 percent of what is owed to NIU by the state.

“We cannot possibly raise tuition at a level to offset the state’s delinquency in its support levels, nor should we ever contemplate that,” Peters said. “We cannot and will not balance our operating budget on the backs of our students and their families.”

During Peters’ opening remarks, he addressed growing concerns about the budget for Fiscal Year 2012.

In his report, Peters said NIU has only received 58 percent of the money that was appropriated to the university by the state.

According to the NIU Pension and Budget website, the state still owes NIU $42,819,271 out of $101 million. The last recorded payment was received on May 11.

“Our budgetary hole is much deeper today than it was one year ago, and there is no last-minute influx of revenue on the horizon to make up that difference,” Peters said.

Peters said the lack of revenue caused the university to struggle to meet its $18 million payroll, and that cost-controlling measures will remain in place.

“All of the cost control measures that have been standard operating procedure for the past few years will remain in place indefinitely and new areas will continue to be explored,” Peters said.

Peters also said campus maintenance has hit crisis levels due to budgetary concerns.

“We can no longer afford to cut back on campus beautification and maintenance,” Peters said.

The board also voted to bring NIU policies and regulations into compliance with the Illinois Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act, which was signed into law by Gov. Pat Quinn on June 1.

The amendments to the regulations define a civil union as “a relationship between two people of either the same or opposite sex,” and provide benefits for employees and students at NIU who are in civil unions.

“I think this is the most impressive inclusion of the civil union concept in higher education in the state of Illinois,” said Trustee John Butler.

A request to change the name of the Department of Teaching and Learning within the College of Education was also approved. The department name will be changed to the Department of Special and Early Education.

A proposal to change the degree designation for the Ed.D in Educational Psychology to a Ph.D was also approved.

“I believe this is to the benefit of the students in our region,” said Raymond Alden III, NIU Executive Vice-President and Provost. “I believe the department has been planning this change for a number of years.”

The board also approved a request to add a new minor in Theatre Studies within the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

New Trustee Anthony Losco was sworn in during the meeting, and will take office on July 1. Political Science major Jaemin Robertson was sworn in as the new student trustee, replacing outgoing Student Trustee Robert Sorsby. Robertson will take office on July 1 as well. Sorsby was presented with a resolution honoring him for his service to the BOT. Retiring trustees Barbara Giorgi Vella and Myron Siegel were also honored for their services.

The board also approved an interim operating budget for FY 2012, in order to continue operations past July 1. The university is expected to provide a final budget at the BOT meeting in September.

A proposal to amend the BOT bylaws to clarify the board’s officer election procedure will be discussed and potentially voted upon in September.

Trustee Robert Boey motioned to suspend the election of board officers for FY 2012 until the meeting in September, in order to fully discuss and vote upon the amendments to the bylaws.