Culinary educator cooks up some vegan recipes

By Meaghen Harms

Vegan dishes are on the menu for culinary educator Jo Cessna’s Occasionally Vegan class tonight.

The class teaches its student how to make several vegan dishes.

“It is a class for those wanting to occasionally eat animal-product free or explore what it would be like,” Cessna said.

Recipes being taught tonight include raw corn soup, nut lentil burgers, brownies and several other dishes, Cessna said.

Students do not need to plan on leading a solely vegan lifestyle to attend the class.

“[Students] are of every diet,” Cessna said. “I do not practice one type of diet. I just eat real whole foods.”

Students will learn how to make several types of vegan meals.

“This class is an exploratory class about how a vegan bakes, what they may eat for breakfast, snacks, etcetera,” Cessna said.

Cessna said students are often surprised at the outcome of the whole food recipes.

“Many people are misinformed that healthy equates bad tasting, unpleasant to the eye,” Cessna said. “It is quite the opposite.”

Veganism is a type of diet in which all animal products and by-products are omitted, said Joan Quinn, NIU foods lab coordinator and registered dietitian.

There are several advantages and disadvantages to living a vegan lifestyle.

“You are going to avoid many of the saturated fats,” Quinn said.

Nutrients that are often diminished include vitamin B12, iron, and calcium, Quinn said.

Classes typically have six to eight students, Cessna said. Cessna has been a culinary educator for 25 years, according to the Natural Cook website.

The event will cost $60 and is from 6 to 9 p.m. at 1389 Prosser Drive in Sycamore.