Football player shot; 2 students charged with attempted murder

An NIU student is out of surgery after being shot on the right side of his back Tuesday night.

Devon Butler, a junior linebacker on the NIU football team, was visiting friends at 1009 Aspen Drive when shots were fired from a vehicle from the street. One shot penetrated the apartment window and struck Butler, police said.

As of press time, he is in critical condition at OSF St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford.

Police have NIU students Mark Orozco, 24, and Richard Van Arsdale III, 20, in custody. Orozco and Van Arsdale have been charged with attempted first degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, aggravated discharge of a firearm, and unlawful delivery of cannabis.

The release stated at 11:56 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to a report of gunshots in the area of Aspen Drive and Hillcrest Drive. Investigators determined shots were fired from a vehicle at apartment 3, 1009 Aspen Drive.

The release states the apartment was targeted as a result of a drug transaction that occurred earlier Tuesday. Police Chief Bill Feithen said today there is no indication that Butler had any knowledge of the transaction, nor was he present at the time. Butler arrived at the apartment to meet with friends late Tuesday.

Feithen said this was a fast-moving investigation in which evidence fell together. Police pieced together information from an earlier incident where they were able to talk to individuals and locate suspects, he said.

“Earlier Tuesday there was a bad drug transaction,” Feithen said. “These suspects went looking for the individuals involved later in the day, so Devon, not being part of any of that, just happened to be at the apartment later in the day seeing a friend.”

Donna Turner, NIU sports information director, confirmed Wednesday morning that Butler was the victim. She said football head coach Dave Doeren spent most of the night at the Kishwaukee Hospital, where Butler was originally transported to.

“All our thoughts and prayers as a team and as a coaching staff right now are with Devon,” Doeren said. “He’s a member of our family and the most important thing is his health.”

NIU Athletic Director Jeff Compher met with players and coaches Wednesday morning. All team-related football activities have been cancelled until further notice, including Thursday’s spring practice.

“As an athletic department and as a university, I know that we are going to support Devon, his family and his teammates in every way we can,” Compher said. “Our primary focus is on all of our student-athletes at this time.”

Butler, a junior, was a 2010 All-MAC Third Team linebacker, tallying 80 tackles, 4.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble. He started 13 of NIU’s 14 games. After a solid 2010 season and strong practices this spring, Butler was the projected starting middle linebacker for the 2011 season. He is majoring in communication with a physical education minor.

Butler attended Everglades High School in Pembroke Pines, Fla., which is about 20 miles outside of Miami.