Vending machine money on campus helps educate others

Third+year+law+student+Chad+Lewis+puts+money+in+a+Pepsi+vending+machine+at+Swen+Parson+Hall.+A+portion+of+the+money+earned+at+vending+machines+go+contribute+to+scholarships.+

Third year law student Chad Lewis puts money in a Pepsi vending machine at Swen Parson Hall. A portion of the money earned at vending machines go contribute to scholarships.

By Meaghen Harms

DeKALB | The money you put into vending machines on campus may help fund another student’s education.

“Vending commission equals approximately $500,000 per year,” said Mitch Kielb, Holmes Student Center director. “$270,000 is allocated to scholarships.”

The collected money is divided between the Centennial Scholarship and the VIP Access Scholarship.

“Per the original agreement, the funds are to be used to support scholarships at the discretion of the University,” said Brian Hemphill, Vice President of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management. “The Pepsi agreement helps fund the Centennial and the VIP Access Scholarships. Both scholarships are awarded to incoming students based on their academic credentials.”

Some students do not know what vending machine commissions are put toward.

“I would like to know what is goes toward,” said freshman business administration major Danielle McKenzie. “If we were more informed and knew more information, then maybe more students would be satisfied.”

Others said they like that the money primarily funds scholarships, but that it should have a broader range of services.

“I would like to see proof that the money is going back toward the students,” said freshman undecided major Jewel Stephens. “I would like to see the money go to things other than that.”

The majority of funds collected from vending machines are in cash. Huskie Bucks make up less than five percent of the funds, Kielb said.

Huskie Bucks card readers are on 34 machines throughout campus. The lack of readers is primarily due to expense.

“Readers cost approximately $1,500, and there is a monthly connection charge and a Huskies Bucks service charge,” said Kielb.

There are currently no plans to add readers to any other vending machines on campus.

“There are no plans to add more readers but current machines with readers are analyzed to determine whether the reader location is correct,” Kielb said.