Douglas Hall will go tropical on March 2

By Alex Fiore

DeKALB | If you like piña colada (cookies), it’s almost time to stop by Douglas Hall.

NIU Housing & Dining will host a Tropical Island Dinner at Douglas Hall on March 2 from 4 to 7 p.m.

“The tropical theme was set by the chef Ken Whitney and all the managers,” said Cori Newman, Housing & Dining dietetic intern.

The menu boasts a multitude of tropical-themed dishes, including flat iron steak, mango salsa salmon and tropical stuffed pork chops.

Newman said she was looking forward to trying the Caribbean chicken skewers.

“We have a special Jamaican jerk sauce,” she said. “It’s going to bring a little more flavor.”

Vegetarian options include Madras tofu curry, Maui blend vegetables, green bean almandine and orzo with cranberries.

For dessert, students can sample tropical lime cake, piña colada cookies, coconut ice cream and pineapple upside down cake.

Aside from the food, the Tropical Island Dinner will offer activities for students.

“We’re going to be having a limbo contest and a hula hoop contest,” Newman said.

Newman said prizes will be awarded, including Dog Pound Deli gift certificates, items from the University Bookstore and “quite a few tanning packages.”

The tanning packages will be from Dynamic Tanning, 850 Pappas Drive, and Key West Tan, 901 Lucinda Ave., Newman said.

Newman said the event is a good example of the kind of interactive environment Housing & Dining is trying to create.

“We want to make it a fun atmosphere,” she said.

Students are encouraged to dress in their favorite appropriate island wear, and the first 100 guests will receive leis.

“I can’t wait to go,” said freshman psychology major Marcos Garcia. “I really want to try the pork chops.”

Garcia said he was excited about the possibility of winning a prize.

“If there are Dog Pound Deli gift certificates, I’m there.” he said.

Freshman undeclared major Laura Feit said she would enter the hula hoop competition, but was not concerned with the prize.

“I’m great at the hula hoop,” Feit said. “I’ll definitely enter the competition.”

The Tropical Island Dinner is open to any NIU Student with a valid OneCard.