Banks scams become an issue at NIU

By Alex Fiore

DeKALB | The NIU Police Department has warned students to not become “victims” of a bank scam that has been an issue on the NIU campus.

In a release issued on the NIU Police website, students are urged to not participate in the scam, which nets the student a profit, but through illegal means.

According to the release, the “victim” is approached by someone asking if they want to make some quick cash. If the person agrees, they are given enough cash to cover the amount of money in their bank account and profit in exchange for their debit card and personal identification number (PIN).

The criminal then uses the debit card and withdraws cash or makes purchases. A few days later, the “victim” knowingly calls their bank to report fraudulent usage, and the bank is left liable for the amount withdrawn.

“We’ve arrested people in the past,” said Sgt. Alan Smith of the NIU Police. “It’s then up to the bank to press charges.”

Smith said the scam has been happening for at least three years.

According to Smith, identifying the “victims” can be done.

“When students file a police report saying their debit card was stolen and their PIN was in their wallet, it’s a red flag…it’s just not likely,” Smith said.

According to the release, “NIU Police are investigating up to 10 such cases a month and in virtually every instance have been able to link the ‘victim’ to the crime.”

The release said students “are subject to prosecution because…they willingly surrender their debit card and PIN number to criminals then knowingly make a false report of fraudulent activity.”

Smith said the best way to avoid falling prey to this scam is simply saying “no.”

“If you’re approached, notify us,” Smith said. “Get a description of the person.”

Students can contact the NIU Police Department at 815-753-1212 or give an anonymous tip by calling (815) 753-TIPS.

According to the release, anyone convicted of participating in this scam could face up to six years in prison, fines of $25,000 or lose the right to open a checking account for seven years.