Nothing in the way of expanding Channel 20

By Taurean Small

In my first blog, I detailed my preliminary research in creating a broadcast outlet for students to showcase their talents, events, etc… My initial thought was utilizing Channel 20, which is currently the host for daily bulletins and Northern Television Center (NTC) news broadcasts.

After my investigations, however, I found that there seems to be no rules or regulations set in place to either allow or deny students, Housing and Dining or even NTC creative access over this channel outside of their normal broadcasts.

So what does this mean? Basically, there has been little to no thoughts of the idea. Housing and Dining’s sole mission is to approve and run only bulletins and announcements on Channel 20, whereas NTC’s mission is to air their weekly broadcast.

When asked why they do not run student-submitted content, James Winston, marketing production manager for Housing and Dining said, “We are not responsible for any other content on this channel [besides bulletin slides]. NTC (Northern Television Center) would be the organization to ask about the content.” After further conversation, it became clear that indifference was not the only issue in this dilemma. Financing a situation like this would be difficult as well.

“Channel 20 broadcasts Northern Tonight on this channel, and unlike us, they have all the camera equipment, lighting, etc. that would be needed to create professional quality content,” Winston said. “While Housing and Dining loves the idea of student-created content, we simply do not have the resources or staff to run an a quality operation from inside our office.”

As I discussed in my previous blog, Allen May, general manager of broadcast news, told me NTC had no control over Channel 20 outside of their broadcasts. They intend to produce only their broadcasts as part of the curriculum.

But if Housing and Dining only airs what NTC produces, couldn’t students similarly use their own resources to produce their own shows and submit them to Housing and Dining to be aired as well? Ideally this solution is plausible, however, I realized there would be far greater implications to consider if this was the case.

For example, who would be in charge of determining what is “appropriate” or “inappropriate” to air in the dorms? Or who would be in charge of scheduling the newly-submitted shows?

Also, if students were granted the power to submit their broadcasts, would the TV be able to show it clearly? Think about it, would you really watch a show that was thumbnail-sized because of it was shot through a low-quality camera?

Considering both NTC and Housing and Dining have expressed their disinterest to personally get involved with this idea, assembling a new governing unit to regulate these operations would cost even more money. This investment, however, is necessary.

There should be no limitations on self-expression, especially in college. It is up to the students to demand this right. Although unprecedented, this commitment can bode great change for this university.

“I would urge students who are interested to voice their interests to the Department of Communications and NTC,” Winston said.