Smith excels on and off field

NIU defensive back Chris Smith (middle) has stepped his game up both on the field and in the classroom.

By Jimmy Johnson

This December is going to be extra special for Chris Smith.

Not because the senior cornerback expects to receive a particular gift under his Christmas tree. Rather, he’s going to graduate and earn a college degree, an accomplishment Smith could hardly imagine just a few years ago.

“It feels good because I never thought I’d go to college,” Smith said.

The NIU starting cornerback struggled with his grades to the point where he failed to graduate from Palmetto High School. Smith, instead, received his G.E.D. upon realizing how much he would like to continue his academic and athletic career.

In 2008, Smith decided to take the junior college route and enrolled at Highland Community College, which gave him the chance to get back onto the football field.

Smith recorded 41 tackles with six interceptions in his only season at Highland, earning him a spot in the top 50 junior college prospects in the country. His play garnered the attention of head coach Jerry Kill and the Huskies’ football program.

“[Coach] Kill knew athletically he could be a good player at this level, but we weren’t sure academically if he could do it and if he would really put the work in,” said Francine St. Clair, who is the director of Student Athlete Achievement Support Services for NIU.

So when Smith enrolled at NIU in 2009, he was told that if he didn’t keep up with his grades he wouldn’t be on the field. After a disappointing first semester academically, Smith discovered St. Clair’s words were more than an empty threat.

“From that first semester he grasped quickly when I said, ‘You have to commit more time, and we have to commit more resources to helping you, and you have to take advantage of that help,'” St. Clair said.

St. Clair has worked for NIU for six years, and has been helping student athletes for a total of 15 years. She said seeing someone like Smith take a major step academically is the ultimate reward.

“You do it because you’re going to make a difference in someone’s life and here’s a kid that we’ve made a difference in his life,” St. Clair said.

Things are currently clicking on all cylinders for Smith. He has emerged as NIU’s best defensive back, helping the Huskies position themselves to contend for the MAC title.

While Kill is pleased with Smith’s play on the field, he’s fonder that his hard work in the classroom will be paying off in less than two months.

“I’m proud that he’s doing well in football, but I am more proud that he has worked hard,” Kill said. “He’s two months away from getting his college degree and that’s exciting for him.”

For Smith, he couldn’t be any happier with his success on and off the field.

“I’m just trying to do what I can, and be the best I can be,” Smith said.