Elburn Shuttle tickets disappear quickly

By James Maahs

Students looking for a ride to the Elburn Train Station may consider using the Elburn Shuttle to get there.

This shuttle service offers students another option to get to Chicago.

The Elburn Shuttle is available to students every Friday and Sunday to and from the Elburn Station.

“Tickets sell out at the box office really fast,” said Matt Weinberg, assistant general manager at Huskie Bus Lines. “Friday shuttles are usually very crowded.”

If the Friday shuttle sells out fast, Huskie Bus Lines brings another bus around to meet the students demand.

Tickets for the shuttle can be purchased at the box office located in the Holmes Student Center. Prices are $4 for students, $5 for NIU staff and $7 for the public.

The ticket prices cover the entire cost of running the shuttle, though, students will also have to buy a train ticket once they get on the train at the Elburn Station. Train ticket costs range from $5 to $8 depending on the stop that each student has to get off at.

Many students who attend NIU have come from Chicago. According to the NIU Institutional Research Office, there are about 23,000 NIU students, 9,000 of which are from Chicago.

Some students take the shuttle because it is faster and cheaper than driving.

“I take it because I have to commute, and I don’t want my parents coming all the way up from Geneva,” said Travis Reed, junior electrical engineering major. “It’s a lot faster than driving, though it does get pretty busy on Friday.”