Students react to news of person in custody in Keller investigation

By Jessica Wells

Students have mixed reactions to the news of a person of interest in custody in connection with the Antinette Keller homicide investigation.

Junior art major Melissa Broccolo said she doesn’t feel any safer.

“The person they have taken custody of is just a lead,” Broccolo said. “For all we know the person who committed the crime is still out there.”

Junior history major Jenny Wilhelm said she feels the area is a bit safer.

“I feel a little more at ease walking around campus now that the police have someone in custody,” Wilhelm said. “However, I’ll feel a lot better if and when they find out that this individual is truly responsible.”

Nicole Meisner, sophomore undecided major and transfer student, is hesitant to say she feels like things are back to normal around campus.

“I do feel a little bit safer, but there’s still the chance that this person isn’t the one did it,” Meisner said. “They didn’t release a lot of information so it’s really unclear right now. I’m waiting for more information until I let my guard down all the way.”

Broccolo said it’s hard to feel better about the situation with so little information.

“I don’t think anyone will feel one hundred percent safe until they’re sure they found the real person,” Broccolo said.

Police reported Thursday that they had a person of interest in the case in custody. This person is being extradited from out of state and information about the person’s name, age or connection with the case has yet to be released. Antinette “Toni” Keller, an NIU art major, was reported missing on Oct. 15. The investigation was reclassified as a death investigation after human remains yet to be identified were found in Prairie Park and items consistent with Keller’s property were found nearby. The investigation was reclassified as a homicide in a press conference on Oct. 26.