Campus not on lockdown, but security is increased

By Jacqueline Evans

According to an NIU media advisory, after the missing person case of Antinette ‘Toni’ Keller was declared a death investigation by the DeKalb County Major Case Squad, the campus is not on lock down, but the university has increased security.

The NIU Emergency Information page reports that “NIU has implemented heightened campus safety and security measures that include the availability of 24-hour security escorts, extended hours for the Late Night Ride Service and restricted access to the residence halls. These heightened safety and security precautions were implemented on Saturday night and remain in effect until further notice.”

There were thoughts that the campus was on lock down due to rumors on social networking sites.

“I heard that the campus might be on lock down on Facebook,” said Sheena Harvey, senior family and child studies major. “I also heard that we might not have class, but I figured that was a false rumor.”

Other students used their resources to find out information on the rumors about security.

“I kept hearing rumors that campus was on lock down and classes would be cancelled, but I checked my e-mail and the NIU website for accurate information,” said Tamika Jackson, sophomore history teacher certification major.

NIU is open for normal operations and classes are in session; the heightened security will continue until further notice.