DeKalb County Major Case Squad takes lead on missing student case

UPDATE: 8 p.m.

NIU officials announced Thursday that the DeKalb County Major Case Squad has assumed the lead of the investigation into the disappearance of missing student Antinette “Toni” Keller, according an NIU Media Relations press release.

The release said the decision to activate the DeKalb County Major Case Squad was made jointly by law enforcement officials from NIU, DeKalb, Sycamore, DeKalb County Sheriffs and the Illinois State Police.

The reason for this decision is based on the fact that all mentioned agencies are already involved, and the scope of the investigation has expanded beyond the university campus, according to the release.

According to the release, a press briefing will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the DeKalb County Farm Bureau, 1350 Prairie Drive, in Sycamore.

The press briefing is to provide an update on the investigation into the disappearance of Keller.

If anyone has pertinent information about Antinette “Toni” Keller, please contact the DeKalb County Major Case Squad at 815-753-TIPS or 815-748-8407.

***

Earlier story:

A diving search and rescue team were unable to find any sign of missing student Antinette “Toni” Keller Thursday afternoon in the Kishwaukee River near Prairie Park.

Keller has now been missing for one week.

The DeKalb Fire Department enlisted the help of the St. Charles Dive and Rescue Unit, a division of the its fire department.

DeKalb County Sheriff Roger Scott said the diving search was just another resource to be used in the search for Keller. He added there was no special reason to perform the search, but authorities are exploring every possible angle.

“This is another resource used to make sure there is no stone left unturned,” said DeKalb Fire Chief Bruce Harrison.

Caution tape blocked off the trail behind the DeKalb Elks Lodge, 209 S. Annie Glidden Road, where local authorities have set up their command center. The trail was still open to cyclists and joggers, but authorities turned them away if they got too close.

The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department , DeKalb Police Department and DeKalb Fire Department were on the scene. The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department, Chicago Police Department and DuPage County Sheriff’s Department  all dispatched police dog units into the wooded area surrounding the Kishwaukee River.

“We’re continuing to look for any information, any clues, any evidence of what’s going on with Toni Keller,” Harrison said.

The divers returned to the command center about 4:20 p.m., and the police dog squads returned shortly thereafter.

“The investigation continues,” Harrison said. “This is just another day of comprehensive search in what is now a week of looking for Toni Keller.”

Harrison said the DeKalb County Major Crime Task Squad is assisting NIU in any way they can.

“Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family and obviously with Toni herself,” he said. “We’re all hoping for a successful resolution and that we don’t have any problems finding her.”