Self plagiarism becomes new violation in Student Code of Conduct

By Amy Kreeger

Self plagiarism, a new concept for most students and a good portion of faculty, is a violation that was added in the recent revisions of the Student Code of Conduct.

“I have no idea what self plagiarism even is,” said Alex Poderys, junior political science major.

Self plagiarism is defined as doing work for one class and turning in the same work for another. Even though it’s not cheating, it still falls under academic misconduct, Larry Bolles, director of the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct, said.

“It’s not your original work because you have done research for another class and are trying to pass it off that you did it for another teacher,” Bolles said.

The Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct are still training professors about the revised version of the academic policy published earlier this semester.

“Academic misconduct cases are in the original jurisdiction of the faculty member involved. If a grade of any kind is being considered as a possible sanction, the case cannot be resolved outside of the academic college,” he said.

If other, more severe consequences are being considered, then the case would be passed on, Bolles said.

“When suspensions and expulsions are recommended by the faculty member, these cases can only be resolved in the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct,” he said.

Although there are penalties for self plagiarism, there are ways students can protect themselves from the consequences.

In order to be able to use the same work that was used for another class, you need to clear it with your teacher, Bolles said.

“I have not heard much about self plagiarism; it all depends on the professor to set clear guidelines in the syllabus for the class,” said Daniel Kempton, Honors Program director.

This year, less than 10 percent of cases of academic misconduct go through the office are related to self plagiarism, Bolles said.