Shock, sorrow normal in uncertain times

By Kyla Gardner

The university has released some coping mechanisms for students experiencing strong emotional reactions to the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Antinette Keller.

According to a list of tips for coping on the Counseling and Student Development Center (CSDC) homepage, students can expect to feel “shock, sorrow, numbness, fear, anger, disillusionment, grief and [other emotions],” in times of uncertainty.

Emotional stress can also manifest itself as physical stress, such as exhaustion, feelings of being off-balance, or difficulty sleeping and eating, according to the CSDC homepage.

To cope with these feelings, students can strengthen their resilience, or ability to adapt to difficult situations, by following regular routines and reaching out to others for comfort.

If students feel they cannot manage their response to the crisis on their own, they can seek professional help at the Counseling and Development Center in Room 200 of the Campus Life Building.

Micky Sharma, executive director of the CSDC, said strong reactions are to be expected, but students should seek professional help if their emotions are affecting their day-to-day life. Students who see their sleep schedules, school work or relationships affected should visit the CSDC.

The CSDC has extended its hours of operation from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Wednesday to accommodate an increase in students coming to the center and in response to the reclassification of the missing student case as a death investigation, Sharma said.

“We’re trying to adjust the services that we provide to best match the needs of NIU students,” he said.

Regular hours for the center are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday. Walk-in hours, during which students do not need to make an appointment to see a counselor, are 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

But if a student is in “a lot of distress,” Sharma urges him or her to visit the center even if it is not official walk-in hours.

At the center, students can meet with a counselor to discuss a further plan of action, if need be, such as individual counseling, group counseling or referrals to another NIU resource or off-campus resource.

All services at the CSDC are free of charge to enrolled students.

According to the CSDC homepage, it is also normal for students to see their parents feeling extra anxious because they cannot control the college environment for their son or daughter.

Christine Defranza, sophomore elementary education major, said her parents are concerned for her safety.

“[It’s] just standard security measures for a parent,” she said.