Ellington’s hosts ‘Farmer’s Market’ in Holmes Student Center today

By Rikki Cottrell

Ellington’s will host its first day of service today from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The menu theme is “Farmer’s Market.”

The students in charge of Ellington’s have been working for five weeks to find recipes and perfect them, said Joan Quinn, Coordinator of Quantity Food Labs.

“Starting next week, the menus will be entirely up to the students,” Quinn said. “The faculty pick the themes the first week to show students how it is supposed to be done, but after that they’re in charge.”

Reservations are not required but encouraged, and the cost for lunch is $9.

“[Nine dollars] will cover all courses of the meal, as well as soda, coffee and tea,” said Kate Shultz, graduate teaching assistant for the Nutrition, Dietetics and Hospitality program. “A free table item for snacking is also given to all customers. Wine is available and is paid for by the glass.”

Students in the program have the opportunity to work as a team, which is important, Quinn said.

“This is a big project. Students learn in the very beginning that everyone has to pitch in and delegate, or things won’t get done,” she said.

Ellington’s serves every week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

“We have really great food at a good price,” Quinn said. “I don’t know where else you could find such great food in the DeKalb and Sycamore area.”