SA voting results are in

Sam Fuqua, senior computer science major, and Hannah Hornung, sophomore computer science major, take Student Association Senate ballot boxes to be counted in Adams Hall after polls closed Wednesday evening. Over 1,000 students voted in the election.

By MaryJo Kratochvil and Jacqueline Evans

After all of the campaigning and voting the results are in for the 2010 Student Association Senate elections.

There were over 1,043 votes in total, and SA election commissioner Patrick Frierson said he believes it’s more than they had last year.

“We had over 1,200 last semester, but that was with the CAB homecoming elections too,” Frierson said.

There were 1,226 ballots cast during the 2009-2010 senate elections. Voting took place Tuesday and Wednesday at locations across campus; DuSable and Barsema Halls, the Holmes Student Center, the Founders Memorial Library and the Recreation Center all housed voting booths.

Newly elected district one senator Justin Goestenkors said he hopes he can better the SA.

“I was in the Student Association last year,” Goestenkors said. “I want to promote equality throughout the entire campus.”

Newly elected district two senator Ashley Anderson said she had similar ideas.

“I want to represent the campus and contribute in any way possible,” Anderson said. “I would also like to take on a leadership role in the future.”

Of 40 possible seats on the senate, 38 were filled. Because there are two vacancies, students who did not run or were not elected can still obtain a senate seat by petitioning the senate for a Senator-At-Large position.

If the applicant is deemed eligible by the senate, that student becomes a senator.

Newly elected district five senator Candice Beasley came out on top with the most votes in the entire election at 279.

“I used Facebook and Twitter to campaign,” Beasley said. “I also ran with other people in other districts, which also helped out.”

Newly elected district 4 senator Adeola Adetunji said campaigning was a big factor in the election.

“I had a lot of people helping me hand out handbills and people from my organization, Ebony Women, support me,” Adetunji said. “I plan to give students a voice and let their opinions be heard.”

Speaker of the Senate Pat Talley is also a newly elected senator. Talley said his election will allow him to vote in the senate whereas his position as Speaker did not give him a vote. Also, his election to the SA Senate will possibly provide a majority vote on certain issues.

Campaign strategies played a large role in the election, Talley said.

“I campaigned with other students, handed out handbills in the MLK Commons, and encouraged students to get out and vote,” he said.

The first meeting of the year, which will serve as both an orientation for new senators and an official meeting, will be held Sunday.