Coaches help freshmen adjust to college life

Northern Star file photo

NIU head volleyball coach Ray Gooden gives his team advice during a match in 2010.

By Andrew Singer

Freshmen have a lot on their plates.

Those involved with athletics have even more, and it falls on their coaches to help them work out the kinks.

“During any given week during the season, the kids will have 20 hours of football, eight hours of study hall and 15 hours of class,” said Tracy Claeys, NIU football defensive coordinator. “How they manage their time is really important. Those that prove they can handle it are the ones that play. If they can’t handle the off the field aspects though, then we have to redshirt them and hope they can be ready their sophomore year.”

In fall sports specifically, freshmen are presented with a unique challenge: to prepare for their first game of the season while also getting themselves acclimated with the campus they’ve inherited. Carrie Barker, NIU women’s soccer head coach, prefers to take some time out at the beginning of the year to help her younger players on a personal level.

“Everyone adapts a little bit differently, and it’s really important for myself to get to know the freshmen on an individual basis,” Barker said. “I mean, we’re asking them to quit being freshmen and become experienced upperclassmen in the two weeks between our first practice and our first game, and that’s not fair.”

The NIU football team realizes how difficult the transition can be and has since implemented a summer school program for the freshmen. The program takes place before the school year and offers an opportunity to get academic help before problems have a chance to arise in the fall.

“Getting them started has gotten a lot easier with the implementation of the summer school,” Claeys said. “The teachers get six hours to work with them academically. It gives them a chance to know what’s expected of them in the classroom and gives them a chance to get to know their future teammates.”

Veteran leaders often play a large role in how freshmen develop on a team. On the NIU men’s soccer team, head coach Eric Luzzi takes it upon himself to make sure the more experienced players pitch in.

“Every year, we assign every one of our sophomores and juniors a newcomer,” Luzzi said. “And it’s their responsibility to be like a bigger brother to them for the whole first semester. Teach them all the responsibilities needed to be a quality division one athlete.”

Even at the conclusion of the season, Luzzi dedicates some time to teach his youngsters.

“After the season wraps up, I usually assign the freshmen a book to read,” Luzzi said. “Then I’ll meet with them once a week for the first month of the second semester. It’s a real good opportunity to teach them some of the intangible skills we want to see on the field.”

Ray Gooden has been the head coach of the NIU volleyball team since 2002. What he expects and how he prepares the freshmen is one aspect of coaching that Gooden has developed over his nine years in DeKalb.

“Sometimes you hope they can contribute right away,” Gooden said. “Sometimes you know they can’t help out right away. And sometimes you beg them to help out right away. But, this year more than any other, I have made sure that they’re first and foremost OK with the college experience before I start thinking about who can do what for us.”

Every coach featured believes that what they do with their first year players goes a long way toward deciding what their programs will look like down the line. Giving the freshmen so much extra attention becomes vital to the future success of a team.

“There’s a lot expected of them, and eventually it will all slow down for them,” Claeys said. “But for now it’s a grind to show them what they need to do.”