The major decision: help all in one place

By Ryan Chambers

Deciding on a major might come easy to some and be nerve-racking for others. Some students took advantage of the sixth annual Exploring Majors Fair on Wednesday and learned more information on all the majors and minors that NIU has to offer.

“I enjoyed the fair a lot this year,” said Jamella Davis, junior business major. “If I had not attended, I wouldn’t have known about all the possible majors.”

The fair, which was held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center in the Duke Ellington Ballroom, offered students the opportunity to meet with representatives from over 50 majors and 60 minors.

Steven Barleen , coordinator of the fair and acting associate director of the Academic Advising Center, said that many students came out of the fair with more than just general information.

“Yes, the fair is for undecided as well as decided majors, but we really wanted students to come out and make connections with their departments,” Barleen said. “We want students to go and find the underlying possibilities that they might otherwise miss out on.”

Chris Mitchell , student adviser for the C.H.A.N.C.E. Program, agreed that students could get all the information they needed to succeed at the fair.

“I have been sending all my students to the fair because there is so much information here about scholarships and majors that students would not be able to get by just going to the website,” Mitchell said.

Chris Pitts , junior political science major, said he benefited from the fair.

“The people at the Academic Advising Center always want to help students out,” Pitts said. “I was able to meet a few people who really gave me some good information on internships this coming summer.”

Barleen said the fair is seen as a convenience to students seeing as they get all the information needed to at one location.

“It is hard to explore all these different places around campus alone, so [the Exploring Majors Fair] is like a big one stop shop,” he said.

Senior communications major Gina Florino encouraged students to attend the fair no matter how long they’ve been at NIU.

“I think it is beneficial to students, no matter what year they are because it just helps people get out and learn about the college,” she said. “No appointments have to be made and you can come and go as you please, doesn’t get much better.”