NIU needs a few minor adjustments

By Portia Kerr-Newman

Every school has its flaws and things that need a little improvement. So I decided to write down all the things I do and don’t like about NIU. Don’t get me wrong: I believe NIU is a good school of higher learning, but there needs to be a few minor adjustments.

The housing at Stevenson needs to be upgraded. The floors don’t have carpeting, except in the hallways. The vents spray out lint every time they’re turned on, leaving dust on the floor to collect and my allergies to flare, which means constantly sweeping and wiping things down.

The dorms are too small. You have to hold down the knobs on the sink, making it difficult just to wash your hands, even more of a hassle to wash my hair.

It seems as though the university doesn’t clean the rooms before students move into the residence hall. When I moved in, there was lint everywhere from the floor to the blinds; nothing had been wiped down, and the floors needed a serious mopping. The food isn’t always the greatest, particularly Stevenson.

There isn’t much to do in DeKalb besides going to Walmart and Target, eating out, bowling and going to the movies. The parking setup is horrible, and there is not enough guest parking. There are not enough buses and during the weekend, they do not run as frequently.

In certain classes, mainly lecture classes, they cover too much material in a short time and expect students to study every day for that class, like we don’t have other classes to study for already.

There are too many cops pulling people over for nothing. It takes too long to contact Financial Aid, the Office of the Bursar and the academic departments.

Besides the things I do not like, I will commend NIU for its broad range of organizations and activities on campus. It is a great way to meet people and network.

Also, the university is open to all sorts of people, like people with kids, people of different ethnicities and transfer students like myself. It is a real college campus and has the college feeling. Employees that work in administrative offices are very helpful and professional.

Teachers are also willing to take time out of their day to meet and help students with their courses. Students are capable of being leaders, forming organizations, working on and off campus and making their own decisions about their academic success. NIU also offers several scholarships to help students pay for college.

I know that if I’m bored in my room there is always something to do on campus.

Though I may not like some things about NIU, I can say I am still proud to be an NIU student. Some may not agree with what I say, but I know several can relate.