Breaking down the Golden Gophers

By Jimmy Johnson

Offense

Quarterback: Senior signal caller Adam Weber has played every snap in all of the Golden Gopher’s three games, completing close to 60 percent of his passes with five scores through the air. The 6’3″ quarterback had success in Minnesota’s 31-27 victory over NIU two seasons ago throwing for 298 yards with a pair of scores through the air.

“He’s the same player we played against up there in the dome,” said NIU head coach Jerry Kill. “He’s a good quarterback.”

Grade: C+

Running back: Kill expressed that the Golden Gophers will want to establish the run against the NIU defense Saturday night but will try and catch NIU’s offense off guard.

They want to run the football,” Kill said. “Then about the time you get eight or nine of them up there, they’re going to throw the play action pass.”

Through three games, Minnesota has averaged 189.3 yards on the ground as the nimble Duane Bennett (5’9″, 210 lbs.), has racked up 307 yards to lead the way.

Grade: B

Wide Receivers: The Golden Gopher’s receivers are definitely not lacking in the size department. Despite only making one start, dual-threat MarQueis Gray (6’4″, 230 lbs.), who is listed as a quarterback, is a physical specimen that leads the Gophers in receptions (14), receiving yards (211) and yards per game (70.3). Opposite of Gray is junior Da’Jon McKnight who is tied in touchdown receptions with two.

“They’re a very strong, physical team with very skilled receivers,” Kill said.

Grade: B-

Offensive line: Much like in Champaign, the NIU defense will once again have to deal with a massive offensive line. Redshirt freshman Ed Olson is coming off his third career start against USC, while right tackle Jeff Wills (6’7″, 350 lbs.) is the largest player on Minnesota’s roster. The Huskies’ defensive ends will look to get past them while also not getting engulfed by this tandem. Center D.J. Burris and guard Matt Carufel are both seniors while Chris Bunders stands in as the only junior.

Grade: B-

Defense

Defensive line: Minnesota’s front has struggled so far to generate a pass rush, only registering two sacks early on this season. Although with little to show from the sack department, this group will present a physical challenge for the Huskies’ offensive line. Junior Jewhan Edwards (6’2″, 330 lbs.) and tackle Brandon Kirksey (6’2″, 296 lbs.) will attempt to clog the running lanes for NIU.

“It’s fun in a way because they’re big guys,” NIU left tackle Trevor Olson said. “Everybody kind of wants to get to the next level and that’s the closest thing you can get to seeing it.”

Grade: C+

Linebackers: According to Kill, Minnesota runs “a 52-front with two linebackers” and “they’re going to make sure that they stop the run.” Sophomore weakside linebacker Keanon Cooper leads the Golden Gopher defense with 23 total tackles. Minnesota’s defense has allowed an average of 151.3 yards on the ground so far.

Grade: C

Secondary: The Golden Gopher’s secondary has allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete almost 69 percent of their passes. Sophomore safety Mike Rallis is second on the team in tackles with 19, with a team leading two interceptions, while Ryan Collado and Michael Carter man the starting cornerback positions.

Grade: C-

Special Teams: Senior kicker Eric Ellestad is two-for-five on field goal attempts as he’s missed on a 30-yarder and a pair of 40-yard attempts. Redshirt freshman Dan Orseske has averaged just under 40 yards on punting duties. The Golden Gopher’s return game is lead by Troy Stoudermire has averaged close to 24 yards on 11 kickoff returns.

Grade: C-