It’s useless to debate a preacher, even dumber to mock him

Brother Jed from Campus Ministry of Columbia, Missouri preaches to students and passerbys about the bible and God Monday afternoon at the MLK Commons.

By David Thomas

I will always remember my first with Brother Jed.

It was on my birthday in 2007 when the controversial, in-your-face preacher visited NIU with his wife and daughter in tow. The situation peaked in the early afternoon that day, with the NIU Police breaking up the demonstrations–and the counter-demonstrations–by 2 p.m.

When I stumbled across Brother Jed and more of his compatriots Monday, I was not surprised to see that he had attracted a crowd of students. Brother Jed and other campus preachers like him know how to drag a crowd. All you have to do is say is “You will go to Hell for your homosexual ways,” and you’re guaranteed to get 25 to 30 people.

But this column is not about Brother Jed or his views. I disagree with his views, and I admit that I am not well-versed enough in Christian theology to face him in a rhetorical death match of Biblical proportions.

No, this column is about the people who show up to his rallies.

I’ve narrowed down the types of people who listen to him and his ilk to four basic types of audience members. You have (1) the supporters and sympathizers of Brother Jed; (2) the passive watchers who use the event for entertainment; (3) the dissenters who want to debate him on every single issue; and (4) the comics who openly mock the preachers.

I admire the students who stand next to Brother Jed and try to defend him from the crowds of people who take pot shots at his beliefs. Campus preachers like Brother Jed do not elicit a lot of public support, and it must take a great amount of courage to break away with your peers and try to defend the controversial views he’s preaching. Go, you guys.

The passive watchers, I really have nothing to say. You just stand there, taking it all in.

My main beef is really with the dissenters and the comics. I’ve always wondered why people try to debate preachers like Brother Jed on God and homosexuality, or comparing Christianity with other world religions. It seems pointless. Both sides are so entrenched in their respective beliefs that no one will have an epiphany based on what the other said. 

In other words, Brother Jed will not collapse to his knees screaming “I’ve been a fool! No!” after a student gives their two cents on the supposed hypocrisy of God. It’s not going to happen, so please stop trying to convince him that you’re right and he’s wrong. It’s a vicious circle.

As for the comics, please, just stop. The way you try to taunt the preachers with your “sarcastic” remarks is really pathetic. Making aside jokes to your friend are one thing, but no one else cares about how you’re going to start “Homos for Hitler.”

In fact, the way you try to talk over everyone else has convinced me that you may not have any friends to hang out with. I cannot think of any other reason why people will stand there for three hours taunting someone for their beliefs. You have nothing better to do?

Case in point, I saw one instance where Brother Jed said, “If you drink alcohol then statistically–,” at which point, a student chimed in with, “you’re guaranteed to have a good time!” No, shut up. You’re about as funny as an animal crush video.

According to Brother Jed’s website, he’s scheduled to be on campus today. Only time will tell whether the madness stops.