Local bookstores now offer rental option

By Katie Zak

The Northern Illinois University Bookstore and Village Commons Bookstore have implemented programs offering students the option of renting textbooks rather than purchasing them.

Don Turk, manager of the University Bookstore, said NIU is required to participate in the Higher Education Opportunity Act that took effect on July 1.

“In addition to online rentals having an effect on deciding to rent books, the Higher Education Opportunity Act, a bill sponsored by [Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.)] requires universities to find ways to lower the cost of text books,” said Turk.

Several other websites offer the option rent books rather than purchase.

“I think it’s a good idea for the bookstore[s] to rent books,” said junior psychology major Wesley Van Slyke. “I’ve been renting books from Chegg.com. When you’re spending $800 for books at the bookstore and Chegg is only charging $200, the better option is to rent.”

Village Commons Bookstore manager Lee Blankenship recognized that book rental is common among college students.

“We see the national trend in book rental,” Blankenship said. “We have 45 titles and different disciplines.”

Blankenship said the number of titles available has expanded.

While many students turn to renting books online, some students are already familiar with renting books from stores directly.

“I think it’s great that NIU is starting to rent books,” said Ivan Rodriguez, junior communications and psychology major. “I transferred from Elgin Community College and they did it there.”

The University Bookstore is currently offering a limited amount of books to be rented and plans on adding books available.

“Rental books are half the price of new books, which should save students money especially for general education classes where students don’t usually keep the book,” Turk said.

Students are required to return the rented books promptly after finals are completed, and the books should be left with little damage.

“Books must be returned in good condition by the last day of finals for that semester, and books must have our bar code still attached,” he said.

Rentals are eligible to be put on students’ bursar accounts.