On-campus involvement brings many benefits to NIU students

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Students looking to get involved on campus before the semester is over can look within the Campus Life Building for help.

The Student Involvement and Leadership Development offers a variety of opportunities for students to get involved and become leaders, said Becky Harlow, assistant director of student involvement and leadership development.

Harlow said joining an organization can benefit students.

“It keeps you connected and it keeps you here,” Harlow said.

NIU has over 300 student organizations that offer a variety of interests for students to get involved.

The organizations range from religious groups to major-associated groups to political interest groups.

Harlow said another way students can get involved on campus is by joining one of the 41 fraternity or a sorority chapters at NIU in the Greek Affairs office. NIU has about 41 chapters that offer a bond between members.

Volunteering can help students build a resume or form a connection on campus.

Harlow said NIU Cares Day, which is Saturday, will allow students to volunteer their time by helping the DeKalb and Sycamore communities. Students can look on the student involvement Web site for volunteering opportunities in the area.

“This helps students who want to get connected with the community,” Harlow said.

Students can get involved on campus through university employment or by other various organizations.

Brittany Walker, senior public health major, said she has been involved in the Present Perfect Modeling Organization since her sophomore year, but this semester, she plans to join a public health organization to participate in volunteering.

“It’s good to show that you have volunteer hours on your resume,” Walker said.

Brian Cain, junior computer science major, said he transferred to NIU last semester, and he commutes so he does not have that much time to get involved. He does however think that joining an organization could be beneficial for his future.

“Joining a professional society would add things to your resume, and employers look to see if you were involved on campus too,” Cain said.

Harlow said if students stay on campus and get involved they will leave behind an impact on others and themselves.

“You can shape a community, and you’re leaving your mark, and people will remember you,” Harlow said.