Situation between SA and student groups addressed before elections

By DAVID THOMAS and JAMES TSCHIRHART

The Student Association, E.L.I.T.E. and Phi Rho Eta are setting the record straight.

The SA approached the Northern Star in February with information that E.L.I.T.E. (Elegant Leaders Introducing Tasteful Entertainment) misused SA resources to benefit a non-SA-recognized fraternity, Phi Rho Eta.

The SA produced documents showing the group’s treasurer, Marlon Haywood, applied for a security fund for a dance at the Student Recreation Center that was held Jan. 30. SA President Brent Keller said the security fund is a fund set up by the SA, which is funded by student fees, to pay for the security services the University Police provides for some events.

When the security fund request from E.L.I.T.E. showed up on Keller’s desk, he said he didn’t think much of it and signed it.

“Knowing Marlon, I figured the CAB president would know the rules,” Keller said.

As Jan. 30 drew nearer, Keller said he and the other SA executives heard conflicting reports about the party. The paperwork of the event lists E.L.I.T.E., advertisements on campus, and a Web site listed the party as a Phi Rho Eta function. On Feb. 10, the SA suspended E.L.I.T.E. until the organization paid back the amount taken from the security fund, which was $2,510.

Haywood said the entire situation was a misunderstanding, saying the event was co-sponsored by the group and Phi Rho Eta, of which Haywood is the president.

“E.L.I.T.E. handled the booking of the event, and Phi Rho Eta advertised for it,” Haywood said. “We never tried to do anything wrong or do it in any underhanded way.”

Haywood said when he was told E.L.I.T.E. was not authorized to use the security fund, the organization returned the money to the SA. Both Haywood and Keller said the money is being processed through the university.

Haywood also disputed Phi Rho Eta’s status. He said Phi Rho Eta was recognized by the NIU Multicultural Greek Council and received temporary recognition by the SA. Keller, however, said this recognition was given after Jan. 30 to “better keep an eye on them.”

Another concern of the SA was in the billing the UP presented to the SA for the security fund, a cost charge number was listed. Only SA-funded organizations have access to those accounts; E.L.I.T.E. is SA-recognized but not funded.

E.L.I.T.E. however, was described as having “unique circumstances” by Angie Dreessen, director for Student Involvement and Leadership Development. In September, E.L.I.T.E. hosted an event at the Convocation Center that was quite successful, although Dreessen said they had no account in which to save the revenue.

“There was no way for a check to be cut to E.L.I.T.E.,” Dreessen said. Because of its circumstance, the office allowed the group to use one of its empty accounts.

“There aren’t that many SA-funded organizations that make money and don’t have accounts to handle that money,” Dreessen said, adding she oversees E.L.I.T.E.’s account, which can only be accessed through her.

With SA and CAB elections on Mar. 24 and 25, there was some concern whether these allegations from SA will have any effect since Haywood is on the ballot for the SA presidency.

Keller was aware of this fact and said the timing of these allegations is not related.

“Because of the elections, we were wary of bringing this up,” Keller said. “But at the end of the day, it’s a matter of accountability, because we’d feel derelict in our duties if we didn’t make this known.”

Haywood said he feels there was no error made on the part of E.L.I.T.E. or Phi Rho Eta.

“To our understanding, everything was fine, and we probably wouldn’t have done anything different,” Haywood said.