Despite stable enrollment, local parochial schools may face budget cuts for fall

By THERESA SMITH

Though some local private schools offer discounts and tuition assistance to families of students, the schools are looking into other options as the recession takes a toll on enrollment.

St. Mary’s parochial school in DeKalb and Cornerstone Christian Academy in Sycamore are evaluating their budgeting and marketing.

The cost per child at St. Mary’s is about $4,189 per year, but because St. Mary’s is a parochial school, the tuition is paid by both the parents and the parish. Families whose children attend the school are also required to help with fundraisers for the school, which help pay for tuition.

“We are a parochial school, and with that, it is our mission that no family should be denied a Catholic education,” said Principal Patricia Weis.

To counteract the recession, the school intends to determine if changes need to be made to its budget.

“We are in a budgeting process; everyone is going to be affected by the economy, and we do have to take the economy into consideration when budgeting for next fall,” Weis said. She is unsure if the school plans to change fall tuition due to the economy.

“It is still being discussed in the committee, so I have no knowledge of that yet,” she said. She expects the school to see a steady number of students this fall.

Just under 400 students are currently enrolled at Cornerstone Christian Academy said Principal Tom Olmstead, and the number of new students that enroll each fall has “stabilized.”

Tuition for grammar school at Cornerstone Christian Academy is $4,550 per child per year, according to Olmstead.

“Private schools strive to go above and beyond, you know, and that’s why tuition is high,” Olmstead said.

The school also holds fundraisers to offset the tuition costs and talks with donors when in need of money. But a few students have had to drop out because they could no longer afford tuition, Olmstead said, and the school is evaluating its marketing plan.

“We are not going to compromise education but modifications need to be made,” he said. “We include tuition assistance; we try to raise money for assisting families that are in financial need. We have a tuition reduction plan that parents can buy gift cards from businesses, and those businesses in turn will donate money to help pay for their child’s tuition.”

Samantha LeBouef, parent of a first grader who attends St. Mary’s, feels her child’s parochial education is worth budgeting for.

“You have to plan for it, and you will find a way to pay. You may have to cut things somewhere else, but you will find a way if it’s a priority,” LeBouef said.