Winning Foot Locker contest was a rewarding experience for two NIU students

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Two communication students won the “Share Your Sole” Foot Locker contest when they submitted their short video clip last November.

Amanda Stevens and Theresa Miller, both senior media studies majors, will split their prize, a $1,000 gift card to Foot Locker, in about eight weeks.

Miller said she was really excited when she heard she won.

“As soon as I found out we won, I called my mom,” Miller said.

Stevens and Miller submitted “Follow Your Sole,” a stop-motion animation video. This type of animation is completed when the camera shoots the shoe, then it’s turned off and the shoes are moved. The camera is then turned on and films the shoes again.

Stevens said Foot Locker looked for subject matter that reflected what people did in their sneakers.

The piece features a pair of soccer cleats kicking a ball, a pair of skater shoes performing tricks on a skateboard, a pair of gym shoes “playing” basketball and a pair of Chuck Taylor All Stars tapping their toes at a concert, Stevens said.

Stevens and Miller worked together to film the piece. They both worked on editing, filming and positioning the shoes.

Laura Vazquez, associate professor in the department of media production communication courses, said she allows students in her courses to submit videos to a variety of contests.

Having students send videos to contests teaches and shows them how to advertise and compete with the general public, she said.

“I am very excited to see what they have done,” Vazquez said. “It shows them what it would be like in the professional world.”

Stevens said working on this video was a rewarding and fun experience.

“I enjoyed making the video very much,” Stevens said. “I hope to create another stop-motion piece again.”