Fraternity to begin 100 hours of service

By Jen Bland

Monday marks the beginning of 100 hours of community and social service sponsored by Omega Psi Phi.

A clothing drive will be held Monday through Friday. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday clothes will be collected on the first floor of the Holmes Student Center. Wednesday and Friday clothing can be dropped off in DuSable Hall.

Students are encouraged to bring winter clothes such as boots, sweaters and so on, said Willie Fowler, graduate adviser for Omega Psi Phi. Fowler said clothing will be distributed to various service organizations around DeKalb.

When students drop off their clothes they are also encouraged to buy tickets for “Amateur night at the Apollo” on Nov. 19. Tickets are $3.50 without a canned good and $2 with one.

“We’re really trying to encourage people to bring canned goods, that’s why the cost is so much higher without one,” Fowler said.

Canned goods will be given to the New Hope Baptist Church. Fowler said the food will help provide holiday meals for those less fortunate.

Club Omega will kick off the weekend on Nov. 18 at University Inn.

Things will start at 9 p.m. in the Chick Evans Field House when DJ Terry Hunter from Chicago will be spinning the tunes for “Frat Attack” Nov. 19.

Fowler said “Frat Attack” is a step show where the sororities imitate the fraternities. “The fraternities work with the sororities and show them their steps,” he said. Fowler also said they are trying to bring Bad Boy Bill of B96 to the show.

Godfrey, a comedian who has been on BET Comic View, will host “Amateur Night at the Apollo” Nov. 19. “Our theory is if you can make it at the Apollo at NIU, you can make it anywhere,” Fowler said. “We have one of the toughest crowds in the country.”

He said big-name acts such as Martin Lawrence, Tracy Chapman and De La Soul have had a hard time pleasing the NIU crowds. Past NIU winners have gone on to land movie appearances and sign recording contracts.989 winner Spike Rebel has recently signed a recording contract, Joline Spencer has appeared in videos including one from Shai, and Bridgette Campbell has signed a recording contract and will be appearing in a movie.

Fowler said the shows are taped every year and sent to the Apollo in New York. Winners are chosen from six contestants by audience applause.

Omega Psi Phi is cosponsoring the Cypress Hill concert Nov. 20. After the concert there will be a dance in the Regency Room of the student center. Fowler said there will also be a step show at the dance.

There also will be a basketball tournament sponsored by Omega Psi Phi Nov. 20. The tournament encompasses fraternities and independent students and organizations.

There is a $20 registration fee and trophies will be awarded. One trophy will be awarded to the victorious fraternity and one will be given to the triumphant student team.

There also will be a champagne sip at 6 p.m. for people over 21 and holding a gold card. Gold cards are like holding a backstage pass to all events held.

For $9.50, a student can purchase a gold card. This gold card ensures entry into all the events and some others events held especially for gold card holders. There are breakfasts every morning and a brunch Nov. 21 that are open only to gold card holders.

Fowler said he hopes other groups will begin sponsoring weekend packages such as the gold card. He said it will help eliminate the problems that arose at the Homecoming dance where people had to wait in line and sign in.

“This way you can just flash your card and go in,” Fowler said.

He said there is major work being done on security. Fowler said Omega Psi Phi has been working with NIU to implement their own security to assure the safety of the patrons.

“We usually pull in a large crowd and we hope they can maintain themselves,” he said.

Fowler said he likes the opportunity to provide services for NIU and the DeKalb community.