Cold climates may not always lead to canceled classes

By DAVID THOMAS

Wrapped in five blankets and feeling very comfortable, junior history major Jen Walker walked to her computer and checked the NIU Web site to see if classes were canceled for Thursday: They weren’t.

“Seriously, when I wake up and it’s 10 below zero outside, I don’t want to go to school,” Walker said.

With a wind chill advisory in effect until today, NIU students seemed to sigh a collective groan when they discovered classes were still being held.

Katie Rodgers, freshman communicative disorders major, said she had to use the Huskie Bus Line in order to get to her classes.

“The buses are overcrowded, and if you can’t get on, then you’re late for your class,” Rodgers said.

Some students, however, took the information in stride. After learning the university was open, Lauren Mock, vice president of the Student Association, bundled up with extra layers of clothing and ventured outside where wind chills could lower the temperature to 39 below zero.

Many students think that the status of the Huskie Bus Line will determine whether classes will be canceled. This is partially true, said Steve Cunningham, associate vice president of administration and human resources.

“Factors include the overall weather conditions, status of operations, extenuating factors such as new snowfall, regional conditions and also the operational status of the Huskie Bus Line,” Cunningham said in an e-mail.

Before making the final decision, administration officials consult a number of groups and agencies. The departments of environmental health and safety and public safety, along with the physical plant, in regard to the status of the campus.

Staff meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste also gives his forecast. Then, a recommendation is made to the president and the executive vice presidents.

The main issue regarding cancelling classes, Cunningham said, is not money but the course calendar.

“Course content must be made up in some way by the faculty and students whenever a course cancellation occurs,” Cunningham said.

Thursday night classes were cancelled. The decision to cancel Friday classes would not be reached until 6 a.m. Friday morning, Cunningham said. Walker does not believe class will be cancelled despite the continued wind chill advisory.

“If I [did it yesterday], I can do it [today]. We gotta go to school; it’s what we’re paying for,” Walker said.