College of Law professor honored for work with Guantanamo detainees

By AMANDA WALDE

As a recipient of the 2008 Bill of Rights in Action Award presented by the Constitutional Rights Foundation, Marc D. Falkoff, NIU College of Law professor, has been honored for his pro bono work with detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

“Working with the detainees is tremendously rewarding in two respects,” Falkoff said. “First and foremost, we’re fighting for these men to be released to their families. On a more abstract level, we’re fighting for what makes our country so great: basic human rights. There’s no greater work for a lawyer.”

Law professor David Taylor acknowledged Falkoff’s accomplishments in helping secure rights for all.

“We respect his dedication and tireless energy in ensuring that his clients are offered the protection they are due under the Constitution of the United States,” Taylor said.

According to a recent press release, “in 2004, Falkoff was the principal counsel in filing the first habeas petitions requesting court hearings for 17 Yemeni detainees at Guantanamo Bay.”

Falkoff asserted their imprisonment as unlawful because the men have been held without any charges filed against them and had not been convicted of any wrongdoing.

Falkoff’s determination to seek justice for the detainees has, however, received a share of negative assessment.

“Though most of the reactions I experience about my work are positive,” Falkoff said, “I’ve had death threats sent to my family and I, [and] blogs made calling me a traitor. I think the threats are influenced by the fear following 9/11 and from those who have a lack of experience with the world. Because a person is Muslim does not make them a terrorist; it’s doubly perverse. Some people are simply ill-informed.”

Guadalupe Luna, interim associate dean and professor of Law, believes Falkoff’s work should be celebrated.

“This award speaks volumes of the immeasurable worth of an excellent legal scholar,” Luna said. “We owe professor Falkoff a great debt for keeping the Constitution alive. I cannot underscore enough how fortunate we are to have him with us at NIU. It quite honestly knocks the wind out of me.”

Tracey Koehler, assistant director of Alumni Events and Public Relations for the College of Law, said working on this particular case was a personal cause for professor Falkoff.

“There is a great deal of controversy surrounding his work. He received a lot of criticism, but he felt like it was something he just had to do,” she said. “This award has made people more aware of his work. They are able to see that he deeply cares about protecting the rights of the Constitution. He is one of the most modest individuals I have come to know.”