Low enrollment numbers affect SA funded organizations

By GILES BRUCE

Low enrollment for the fall semester is having an effect on the way Student Association-funded organizations receive additional funding.

SA Treasurer Patrick Echols spoke about how much is now available for that funding.

“Annually, supplemental funding is $30,000 a year,” Echols said. “This year, an additional $50,000 has been added to it totaling $80,000. The additional funds have been added this year because organizations cannot request their rollover funds.”

Echols said he is confident the money allocated for supplemental funding won’t run out, and organizations’ regular funding has not been changed.

“Any funds that organizations have deposited via dues, fundraisers or other activities will remain with the organization,” Echols said. “All student organizations have received their full fall allocations.”

Rather than requesting to keep their rollover funds, which are funds not used by SA-funded organizations in a given fiscal year, those organizations must now apply for supplemental funding if they need additional funding.

Supplemental funding is to be used in case of emergencies for a one-time expenditure “where lack of the particular service or equipment could cause the organization immeasurable harm” according to the SA Web site. It can be used for unique or unexpected instances, but it’s not to be used for “additional support for regular programs such as concerts, speakers or films.”

Low enrollment this semester means there are fewer student fees and, in turn, not as much money for the SA budget. Rather than all of the organizations’ leftover funds becoming rollover funds, part of that money now goes towards supplemental funding and the rest goes to the SA’s budget, said SA President Brent Keller.

Before this semester, the SA treasurer made the final decision as to which organizations received rollover funds. Now, groups who wish to receive supplemental funding must first apply and then go before the Senate to explain their situation. Then the Senate decides who gets what.

“I think this is a much more accountable way to go about supplemental funding than has been done in the past,” Keller said. “The Senate is elected by the students and open to all.”

James Seggeling, a junior political science major and member of the Brazilian Jujistu Club, said he is sure that many organizations need money, but the issue of supplemental funding and rollover funds is out of their control.

“They know the right way to allocate funds so it’s up to them to do it,” he said of the SA Senate. “Capitalism is what it is.”