Panel discussion asked if America is ready for a black President

By DANIELLE DECARLO

NIU students gathered Wednesday evening in the Stevenson Smart Classroom where the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity held the panel discussion, “Is America Ready For A Black President?”

Kappa Alpha Psi President Richard Washington, a senior major in industrial engineering technology, introduced the panel of five which included Mitchell Gaddis, Carrington Peterson, a senior English major, Anthony Smith, a senior sociology major, Bisola Bello, a junior English major, and Bro. Deandre, of the Nation of Islam Student Association.

Washington led the panel by asking them their thoughts on how the candidates performed in the final debate, the panel then responded individually, and took questions from the audience.

“Until you change the mindset of the people, it doesn’t matter who is running for president, black or white, it’s American culture,” Gaddis said.

Some attended the event out of curiosity, like Markeyia Smith, a sophomore business accounting major, who said she wanted to see her peers’ point of views on the presidential campaign.

Others in the audience spoke out to the panel which touched on topics such as the presidential debates, increased unemployment rates and the international experience of both presidential candidates.

“Sen. McCain has been an empty rhetoric over the past debates and has taken many low blows at Obama,” Bello said.

Among the many Obama supporters, McCain supporters stood by as devil’s advocates for the election, weighing the pros and cons of both candidates.

“There is no guarantee of Obama fixing the eight-year downfall of our economy in just four years, but the fact is we’ll have a break from republican rule,” Gaddis said.

The evening later opened much more specific topics not mentioned in presidential debates such as the rise of the K.K.K. if our country does in fact see a black president.

“I believe a lot of things are going to change if we see a black president. Not all for good, and not all for bad,” Washington said.

Washington retouched his thoughts on the mixed feelings of students on campus, and encouraged the audience to register to vote for what he called “a monumental election.”