Think twice before getting excited about Genoa train service

By LAUREN STOTT

In as little as two years, Genoa residents may have a passenger train rolling through town.

The thought of a passenger train stopping in Genoa may appeal to students as well as residents, but don’t grab your briefcase just yet.

While the train might travel to Chicago and the Quad Cities, it won’t be a typical commuter train.

The train will be an Amtrak train. Residents won’t be able to take it to work unless their schedules are flexible. With one train in each direction per day, if you miss it, you can’t pick up the next train like Metra.

“It won’t be a huge commuter service like Metra,” said Genoa City Administrator Joe Misurelli.

Students can already rely on the Metra line that leaves from Elburn, which has regularly scheduled trains.

“I would only want to use the new train route if it went straight through DeKalb,” said Ted Kerrn, senior political science major.

If enough interest is generated, a Huskie Bus route could be added from DeKalb to Genoa for students who want to take the proposed Amtrak train.

However, students hoping to catch a train into Chicago can currently take the Huskie Bus Line on Friday afternoons to the Elburn Metra station. Also, because of increased ticket sales, the Student Association recently added another route to the Elburn station on Friday afternoons.

“I would probably use the Elburn station because it’s more convenient,” said Kayla Gasliardi, senior family and child studies major.

Genoa would reap few benefits from a deal that obviously doesn’t have the town’s best interests in mind.

They risk inviting extra traffic from surrounding towns coming to use the train. More trains also means more noise pollution disturbing residents and wildlife.

Passenger rails are generally seen as a benefit to small towns because they provide access to bigger cities and expanded business opportunities near the station.

However, the train could bring more stress.

It’s not fair for the town of Genoa to receive extra stress for minimal benefits.